Friday, February 18, 2005

Becoming a Father Part II

"Quit 'cher belly achin', Dad. The story obviously has a happy ending." Yeah, but it doesn't mean that it was always happy. My wife's father was dying of cancer. He had come home from the hospital to die. One night I arrived at the house to find the whole family was gathered around his sick bed. He was talking to my wife and asked her why we didn't have any children. We had to come clean in front of her rather fertile brother and sisters that we were in fact trying and not succeeding. It seemed to give him some comfort. But there is not much you can do when he passes on and will not get to meet our child.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarahlynn said...

I am so glad you're doing this. I hope you don't mind that I linked to you. If you don't want the traffic, just let me know and I'll remove the link.

12:44 AM  
Blogger mypetrock said...

No, that's great.

1:49 PM  
Blogger mypetrock said...

No, that's great.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home