Wednesday, July 11, 2007

One of these things is not like the others

As I was drying off the other day, I chanced to lean against a counter. I noticed it because my substantial weight was not distributed evenly across the counter. There was a bump in my groin. Usually it would be a moment of pride to look down and see a lump in my groin, but not at this time and not at this location.

First, I poked at it a bit and hoped that it would go away. When wishing didn't work, I consulted Dr. Google. Dr. Google told me that it was probably a hernia and that I would likely need surgery to fix it. Then I made an appointment with my PCP who confirmed that it was a hernia. I made an appointment with a surgeon who again confirmed that it was a hernia. So it is definitely a hernia. And I'm going to have it fixed. Color me excited. And no, not at that location again.

I'm a little anxious about the whole thing. I'm anxious about the hernia itself. I need to make sure that I don't make it bigger. So I'm trying not to lift too much ( not easy when you have a toddler). But still I'm not 100% certain what all would cause it to bulge out further. If it starts hurting (strangulating), I have to head to the hospital immediately. So when I notice it, is that the beginning of it hurting

The surgery is also making me anxious. I don't like the idea of someone cutting into my especially. I'm not crazy about the idea of sharp knives near my groin. I'm going to have to take some time off from work while we have a major effort going on. Necessary but still evil.

The other thing that gets me about the hernia is that it is an injury that I could likely have avoided if I had only stayed in shape rather than turning into the oval I am today. Joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home