Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Diet

Last year after we got back from Italy, my wife and I decided to go on a diet. We had tried BodyForLife and had had some success, but honestly I was not looking for an exercise program. Sure I looked good, built muscle, and lost weight, but it was also a major pain that took up much of my free time. Having openly scorned Atkins for the Cheeseburger-No-Bun scarf machines, we decided to try South Beach.

Some folks refer to South Beach as Atkins light. The summary is a two-week induction phase of no carbs followed by a good-carbs only phase until you reach your ideal weight. The meal plans seemed doable and even tasty. And with an induction phase of only two weeks, the deprivation was not severe.

The first couple of days were a bit torturous. It seemed that everywhere I turned someone was eating a candy bar, some ice cream, or a sandwich. Or some pasta. Or a hamburger bun. And here was me and my salad. I compensated somewhat by having larger portions of salad and by the fourth or fifth day, the cravings had passed somewhat. Not magically disappeared, but dissipated. I wasn't complaining in part because I was eating healthy options and in part because I'm just not that finicky.

When it came time to switch to phase two, we were more than ready. We started mixing in some fruits and low glycemic index carbs. Compared to the first couple of weeks it seemed like the palate of available foods had expanded dramatically. This phase was not without challenges. I have a propensity to overuse certain foods which nearly caused my wife to ban couscous from the house.

I managed to keep up Phase Two until September. During that time I felt an increase in energy. I was able to start exercising again (it helped that it was summer). People noticed that I had lost a lot of weight. From the time I started until I fell off the wagon I lost 35 lbs. But by September I was getting sick of picking around the meat, avoiding alcohol, avoiding sweets, and in general being good. And so I decided to stop dieting.

Between September and January four things happened which caused me to put back on the weight. First, I injured my calf muscle and couldn't do the running which would have enabled me to keep in shape. Second, my son was born and I stayed with my wife at home for a month. During that time I felt guilty going out for a run on my own. Third, the weather turned cold and miserable - not ideal circumstances to start an exercise programa. And fourth, I was buying and eating food that could be eaten at all hours of the day with one hand - Pop Tarts and candy were the chief evil. Gradually I added back on the weight. I kept telling myself that as soon as the needle on the scale crested 180, 185, 190 that I would go back to being good.

After my birthday this year I went back on the diet. I was cresting 205 and didn't want to see 210 again. I am going to do the River To River Run in Southern Illinois in April and wanted to get in shape. The weather is getting warmer. All these reasons are good ones to go back to eating well. I've been fairly good - I'm back to 190-192 and running again.

But I'm going to venture off the diet again. I'll still be a good boy in terms of avoiding things that I know are bad for me. But I've found that the diet is easiest when everyone in the house can go on it. My wife hasn't yet decided that it is time for her to lose weight and it is difficult (if not a bad idea) to diet and nurse at the same time. When that time comes, I'll be ready. And likely a couple of pounds heavier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home