Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Year in review

We've started getting the year-end cards from our friends. It's nice to see what people have been up to when I don't get a chance to see them very often if at all. We'd send out cards, but we're not that organized, so instead, you get a year in review blog post.

Last December was obviously very exciting. Oliver was born. It was only a year ago and it was just a year ago. After his birth, I took the rest of the year off to help around the house as Oliver and my wife and I got to know each other. We settled into a routine where she was responsible for the input side and often I was in charge of the output side. Since I wasn't going to work, we all floated our hours to different parts of the day and night. Christmas and New Years past in a flash and it was time for me to go back to work.

When I got back to work I started going in by 6:00 so that I could leave by 3:00. It was a bit of an adjustment to get used to it, but it worked well for me. The early morning hours were productive and the after lunch hours were available for helping others. The other advantage of this schedule was that I was able to start picking up Oliver from day care once my wife went back to work in mid-February. Later in the year, we switched roles and I went from day care savior to day care drop off.

In February, I started this blog. By September, I had logged my 100th post. Now I'm closing in on 150. I've enjoyed writing about my life for the four or five of you that tune in to read it. Thanks for the encouragement.

I celebrated my 30th birthday in early February with another Thank(Rock) party. It's been interesting to see how the younger crowd grows each year. There were almost ten children at last year's party with more on the way. By next year's party most of those kids will be moving around, either walking or crawling. Watch out!

In April, I participated in the River to River Relay, an 80-mile relay across Southern Illinois. It was a blast! Once again I teamed with a group of Hashers including Mother Mary Nipple, Blows Like a Freight Train, Dead Squirrel, Halley's Comet, Necrofeelyass, Just Nicole, and Fuzzy. The run was a great success and I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

I got to celebrate with my friends Aum and Bob at their wedding in April. It was a good trip, and it was the first time that my friends in Chicago got to meet Oliver. In May we took a trip to California to see Jeni and (her husband) get married in Napa. While we were out there we took Oliver wine tasting with us. At the end of the summer we took a work trip for my wife to Phoenix. While we were there, Oliver started crawling.

The fall was marked by a number of developmental milestones for Oliver. Crawling. Going up stairs. Going down stairs. Hauling himself up on things. Cruising. Drinking from a cup. Feeding himself. It has been miraculous to watch his development from an infant to an almost-toddler. And on Sunday, he had his first birthday and started walking.

In some ways this past year has flown by. In some ways it has crawled. But in all ways, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home