Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving weekend

On Thanksgiving, we left the house for a long weekend of family togetherness. We drove up to see my wife's family, which is much larger than my family. We have almost a dozen nieces and nephews running underfoot when we all get together. In this instance it was good since it meant that there was always someone there to watch Oliver.

We were assigned "Squash" for dinner. We brought acorn squash and butternut squash that we were going to prepare in the microwave according to the directions in Mommy Made. But if you were to read the directions, you'd notice that the squash in the recipe is a medium squash. I skipped reading that part and brought a monster five-pound squash. It took a lot longer than I'd planned and some of it didn't cook as well as I would have liked, but it turned out OK.

Dinner went well. Oliver had squash and some turkey. He ate some, wore some, and had a good time. After dinner, we played Settlers with her siblings until it was Oliver's bed time. Then we packed him up in the car and drove to Chicago. Travelling with him while he wants to be asleep is so much easier than travelling with him when he wants to be mobile. We made it up to Chicago with one stop for gas and diaper changing. My parents were waiting up for us, but Oliver went right to bed.

The next couple of days had us hanging out with my folks, letting Oliver run around their condo. We didn't end up going outside much, but that was fine for my wife and I as we just wanted to veg out and read. Much of the day was governed by making sure that Oliver got his naps in. We spent some time with my parents and retired early.

Saturday I helped my parents get together the dinner. My dad has always been in charge of Thanksgiving dinner as far back as I can remember it. In fact it was my father cooking Thanksgiving dinners that showed me that men could cook too. Since I miss out on cooking Thanksgiving, I make up for it for my birthday in February.

Before dinner we got to see Oliver and his cousin playing. One day they'll play with each other. In the mean time they just play near each other. This year they were playing Keep Away with Oliver's walker.

It was a good time.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...meant that there was always someone there to watch Oliver."

Really going for Parents of the Year, aren't you?

10:29 PM  
Blogger mypetrock said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:49 PM  
Blogger mypetrock said...

Better than some, not as good as I should be or have experienced as a child. But I'm trying.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's pretty cold. I think anonymous doesn't have any kids! It's nice to get some time to be an adult and a husband. We sacrifice a lot to be parents. I'm not ashamed to say that sometimes I look at that clock and say "ahh, his bed time is near." I need time to recharge by myself, with my buddies, and with my WIFE. One of the best things I can give my boy (and maybe the best) is a strong, healthy marriage.

-Mike

9:11 PM  
Blogger mypetrock said...

I felt that way at first, but I'm convinced that I missed a smiley or something. Even so I have a long way to go towards becoming the parent I want to be, so I'll just take it as a sign that more work remains to be done.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home