Thursday, March 23, 2006

Just Dad Day 4

I picked Oliver up at day care at 4:00. The weather was on the cusp of being good to play outside, but it was muddy so I opted to stop at the store, pick up something for dinner, some flowers for my wife, and a card for our anniversary. By the time we got home, it was just about time for dinner. Oliver ended up not liking the food that I'd bought for him to eat for dinner and I audibled to yogurt. He happily ate the yogurt. After a little post-dinner clean-up we took off for Messy night. Note to self - changing your child's clothes BEFORE Messy Night is not a good idea.

After messy night, we headed home for some clean up before bed. With no one else in the house and having just had a very exciting time, he was easy to get down and was in bed by 8:00. After he went to sleep, I got some chores done and then cast about for something to do. I settled on miniature painting and kept myself busy until it was time to go pick up my wife. I bundled up Oliver and we took off for the airport.

Airport pickups have become so much more interesting in a post-911 world. While it is easier to pick up from Lambert than, say, O'Hare, it's still not always smooth. I did get to kiss my wife on our anniversary, but her bag did not make the flight with her and we had to wait. She and Oliver waited inside while I got to read a book and circle and circle and circle the pick-up area. Finally the bag arrived and we got to go home. At home, my wife took Oliver up to bed while I finished some diaper laundry. If Oliver woke at night, I didn't. It's good to have my wife back. ;)

In the morning, Oliver woke up first and didn't want to go back to bed. He also didn't want to potty in the bath tub or on the potty. However the kitchen floor was just right *frown*. We had some breakfast and went upstairs to get cleaned up for my day. There was no waking my wife (came home with a cold), so we took a shower and dried off. Finally my wife got up to get cleaned up. Oliver and I got dressed and waited for my wife to get done. Once she was done, I handed over supervisory duties to her and headed off to work.

After four days of more or less flying solo, I feel more comfortable with my ability to do it on my own should my wife have to go out of town again. But towards the end of the week I started thinking back to a year ago when I left to go to River To River. There wasn't nearly as much drama involved. I just sort of assumed that she's be able to do it and she did. Our mammory capacity is markedly different but it wasn't as much of an issue for her to fly solo. Funny, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home