Monday, July 16, 2007

Just a simple task

Friday night, my wife said, "I'd like for you to paint the garage this weekend. Oh, and there are a couple of rotten boards that I'd like to replace." So, in the morning, I went out to the garage and took a look. There were a few boards that had rotten spots. I got up on the ladder and took down the boards. In turns out that there were a few more rotten boards underneath them. And then underneath that one of the beams going across the front of the garage was rotten in the middle.

And so began the first of several trips to Home Depot. I picked up sheets of OSB plywood, a sixteen foot 2x4, two eight foot 2x4s, and other assorted building supplies. And what mighty machine did I cart this stuff home in? The Prius (although to be fair the sheets of plywood were cut for me and so easier transport). I will say that while the Prius is fine for lengths up to 8 feet, then sixteen foot board represented a little more of an adventure.

Then it was time to start putting everything together. It would have been nice if all of my initial measurements were correct, but there were a couple of half inch errors so I got to do some cutting of my own. Most of the pieces I was able to assemble on my own. A few of the last boards needed some shimmying in order to get in place, so I had my wife help me with that part.

When the last screw was in place, I got a second to look at what I'd done. In two days, I'd managed to more or less completely take down a side of the garage and reassemble it. While I'd be upset to pay someone for the quality of workmanship exhibited, I was pleased that I was able to get it done. Now all that remains is to caulk the seams and paint it. My wife has volunteered for that job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home