Monday, January 23, 2006

Where's Mommy?

Saturday night after getting Oliver down, my wife went out for a girl's night out. About twenty minutes later he woke up and about an hour later, I got him back down. Around 10:00 or so, I decided to go to bed myself. Around 3:00am Oliver woke up. Mommy was not in bed with us. She was not on the bed in the hall. She was not on the couch downstairs. There was a call on my cell phone from 11:30pm, but no message. All kinds of random thoughts went through my head. Was she in an accident? Had she been drinking? Is she just crashing at someone's house? Should I call over there? Why didn't she call again? Why didn't she leave a message? What'll I do with Oliver?

Wit these thoughts in mind, I called her cell phone. *RING* ... *RING* ... *RING* ... "Hello." Relief. Confusion.
"Hi, where are you?"
"Just a couple of minutes away. How's Oliver"
"He woke up and had to go potty."
"Did he go?"
"He just finished. He had a good potty. ... It's 3:00 in the morning."
"I know. I'll be there soon."

I was pretty angry. A message to let me know she was OK and I wouldn't have been so worried. If it was 1:00 instead of 3:00, I wouldn't have been so worried. If she was going somewhere where she was not going to be drinking, I wouldn't have been so worried. As it was, she was OK and there wasn't anything to worry about. And when the sun came up, most of my worries went away. But the memory remained. It's not exactly a pleasant memory, but it reminds me of how much she means to me and to Oliver.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

First, I'm sorry I kept you wife so late and that it gave you cause for concern....secondly, however, it is sweet that it makes you think about what she means to you and Oliver....very sweet.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home