Friday, February 24, 2006

Phase 1 Menu Complaints

I know I said that I wouldn't post anything about my diet this time around, but this one is less about me specifically so it's allowed.




One of things that I like about the diet is that the book lays out a 14-day meal plan for the first phase. My wife and I have found that it is easy for us to follow the meal plan when we have a listing of what we can eat laid out in front of us. When we start improvising we tend to get in trouble, either not cooking ahead of time and trying to throw together Phase 1 compatible foods or starting down the slippery slope of allowing ourselves small cheats. The meal plan is full of a variety of appetizing dishes and that's part of the trouble.

Take today - I'm eating a Dilled Shrimp Salad for lunch. For those of you scoring at home, it is a fairly labor intensive meal with all of the shrimp and dressing preparation. But the recipe serves four, not two. I could have cut the recipe in half, but then I'm getting less bang for my labor buck. So I make the full recipe only to find that it doesn't occur again during these two weeks. I could substitute it for another meal, but then I'm off book and on to a slippery slope. It would be nice if they'd set up the meal plan for a standard number of people (2?) and adjusted the recipes to fill as many servings as appear in the Phase One meal plan.

The other problem with the phase one meal plan is that they haven't come up with any interesting desserts, just variations on the base ricotta dessert. Don't get me wrong - I like the Ricotta dessert. I make mine with cocoa powder, vanilla, packet of sweetener, couple of chocolate chips, slivers of almonds and a spoonful of peanut butter. The only other option that I've seen is the Sugar Free Fudgsicles, which are apparently popular with the people who shop at the same grocery store that I do as they've been out the last two times I went to the store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home