Monday, May 08, 2006

He's a big kid now

A couple of days ago, my wife brought home a toddler bed that her sister didn't need any more. While we were banging around the house this weekend, Oliver came across it, went to it, crawled in and pretended to sleep. My wife filed this away for later.

Last night, Oliver was acting tired, so we started the bed time routine a little bit early. But it didn't take. Oliver was happy to sit in our bed and chatter away. My wife turned to me and said, "I wonder if he'd sleep on his toddler bed." Taking my cue I went in the other room, grabbed the bed, and hauled it into our room. We picked a spot of open wall not too far from our bed and put the bed down. Oliver went right to it and laid down. Eventually, my wife got him to go to sleep. He got out of his bed a few times, but demonstrated a definite preference for his own bed. He slept in his own space from 8:30-4:30 and then joined us in bed for a while.

We haven't set up any rules on his bed. I think we're opting to let him sleep where he wants to - if it's in his bed, fine, or ours, fine. In some ways, I'll miss having him in bed with us, but in other ways I'm happy to see him happily ensconced in his own space. For now anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home