Monday, October 02, 2006

Hey - it's only been a month...

September was an interesting month. That's why I haven't written anything in a while. And for once I'm only being a little bit facetious.

We've been busy around the house. Oliver is proving to be quite a handful. I can't imagine what a difficult child would be like. He has been very excited about the new Metrolink stop and has ridden the choo-choo a number of times. Each time is just as exceiting though. Plus, in the morning, there is always the game of spot to choo-choo as we head to the highway. He's got a pretty good vocabulary that I'm getting better at deciphering.

The other night he even got a joke. I was trying to put him to bed and he kept calling for a ball. "Ba! Ba! BA! BAAA!" Finally, I said, "Oliver, are you my little sheep?" He paused. He thought about it. Then, he said with a smile, "Baaaa! Ba! Baaaa! Ba!" over and over for a good ten minutes. It didn't get him down any earlier, but at least I know that he shares my sense of humor - what there is, anyway.

Domestic chores are also eating up a lot of time. Beyond the usual day to day tasks, we have started a number of other projects. We have most of the fence up in the back of the house. We just need to put on the door in order to complete it. But Oliver has run out of patience with the whole exercise which has really put a cramp into our time to work on it. This past weekend I restained our deck. My wife has been working on fixing up ouor first floor bathroom and the addition.

Work kept me busy. The beginning of the month was devoted to preparing for an important demo. The later part of the month was spent doing code development. Perhaps the three most important/interesting things that happened were the road map, the Chili day, and the move. The road map that I'm talking about is the high level overview of our Go To Market Strategy. Up until the day when it was presented, I had an inkling of how much work it was going to take in order to get our system to production. After that I have a more specific idea of the functionality that we are going to have in January as well as some of the big pieces coming down the pipe. On the one hand it comforts me to know that that is all we have to do. On the other hand, we have to do it all.

The last Wednesday of the month we had a Chili day at work for both our company and our parent company. I had been debating as to which prize I wanted to win - hottest or best. As it happened, I forgot to start cooking my chili until the morning of the contest and threw it together in about 25 minutes. While competing against other chefs who had spent up to a week strategizing their dishes, I ended up winning the prizes for Most Interesting Use of Ingredients and Worst Dressed Chef. Those who know me know that I deserved both titles.

The following Friday our company moved into its new digs in Clayton. We're now on our own in a new space. It's kind of liberating to have some space to spread out. Plus, the office is only a mile or so away from my house. Ka-ching! I've been looking forward to this ever since I first talked to the project manager back in March. Today I walked to work. Tomorrow my wife will drop me off on her way to work.

I'm not actually being a weenie in having my wife drop me off at work. I have a stress fracture in my right leg and have a strap on cast. It seems that I put too much stress on my legs by training for a marathon while not dieting and gaining 20 lbs. Yes, folks, you too can train for a marathon and gain weight if you follow my example. So no marathon for me. No marathon for my wife either - nasty case of shin splints. There's not a lot of sympathy floating around at our house.

Before I was enfeebled, I did manage to hare a hash again. It started near downtown Clayton and I had the group do a Where's Waldo as I wandered around the Clayton Art Fair. Then the trail led them over the new MetroLink tracks and through Wash U's campus during a sorority softball tournament. The dirty old men of the group were quite impressed. One of the hashers got lost on campus and ended up in Forest Park. She managed to convince a bus driver to give her a ride to Clayton though...

In other recreational news, I went to a prerelease for Time Spiral, the newest Magic expansion. Over 20 hours of playing, I had a great time. I didn't win anything significant - only two packs - but I was in contention to win half of a box and could have split it with my opponent. However, I thought my deck was better than it was and I got run over but quickly. Instead of 18 packs, I got 0. Ah well, live and learn. But it was a great time and i really like the set. I'd like to buy a couple of boxes if I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home