Friday, August 04, 2006

Now I lay us down to sleep

Sometimes when I'm trying to get Oliver down to sleep, I end up putting myself to sleep as well. I'll wake up from my nap and then look at the clock and figure out whether it is worth it to get up and go downstairs or pencil myself in for extra sleep that night. Last night was an extra sleep night. I went down about 9:00 and woke up about 7:00. It was great. I probably should have gotten up and got some stuff done. There wasn't anything of major importance though, so I'll just get it done today.

I do sometimes get frustrated by our bedtime routine. We opted not to use Cry It Out as a bedtime solution. So when Oliver goes to bed, we lay down with him until he drifts off. It used to get be Mommy but eventually she got sick of being the only one who could do it. So it sometimes includes both Mommy and Daddy. It's becoming a huge time sink especially when he takes a half-hour or more to work his way down.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

We got lucky with our girl, she would fall asleep at 7:30 every night and then want to be put in her crib. For some unknown reason she didn't like being held while she slept. Of course she didn't sleep through the night until 9 months, but ...

11:00 AM  
Blogger the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

Let me just say that going to sleep with him is likely to raise expectations for such behavior to continue indefinitely. We took turns going in to read/lay down with our oldest for most of the last year and it was very difficult to get him to sleep within a half hour and very easy to fall asleep ourselves.
I don't know a better way though, so I can't help you. His sleep schedule is something bizarre and I have the feeling that many choices we made in the past 3 years didn't matter anyway--he just has night owl genes like me.

We're trying to do better with our second, learning from our mistakes, and he does have to cry it out sometimes. Not always, but way way more this his brother ever did.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home