Saturday, March 19, 2005

Sick

It started yesterday at work. Gurgle. Rumble. A bit of nausea. I'm sitting with a co-worker as she explains some process to me. A little more nausea. "Maybe it was something I ate", I think while eyeing the corned beef and cabbage that I had brought for lunch. "Did I not cook it long enough?" More nausea. I excuse myself and go to the bathroom. I'm standing in the men's room at work waiting for the inevitable. It occurs to me that anyone walking by will just think that I'm standing in the men's room for no particular reason. I start washing my hands. And the feeling passes somewhat. Back at my desk, I call my wife and warn her. Oops, she has already finished her lunch of corned beef and cabbage. "Well, if you feel sick head home." Back to the process. Rumble. Gurgle. Nausea. Excuse myself. Back to the bathroom, but to a stall this time. I know I'll feel better if I just throw up, but I can't make myself do it. Screw it. I'm heading home. I explain that I'm on the verge of un-eating my lunch and that I need to go home. I start heading home. I call my wife. She tells me that she'll pick up our son from day care and that I should just go home. More nausea. Maybe a little fresh air. MORE nausea. Uh oh, pull over, pulllover pover open door here it comes RETCH Houston we have lift off. At some point some I'll have to clean off the door.

I slept for most of the rest of the day and night and day. My wife however came home with a sick child to a sick husband. The sick husband was not much use in helping take care of the sick child. But my wife is a trooper and now everybody is starting to feel better.

I don't mind being sick, but I hate telling people about it. It's the same about being hurt. I guess there is some sort of implied vulnerability that the caveman in me resents. Either that or it doesn't seem real until you have to tell someone.

The part of this illness that I most disliked was the nausea. It's almost like the music from Jaws. Duh Duh ....................... Duh Duh..............Duh Duh..........Duh Duh....Duh Duh...Duh Duh duh Duh Help Shark! I would almost like to just be surprised like "Surprise! You're vomiting!" rather than the two hour build-up. I guess that would have been better for me, but I can see where that would be worse for my co-workers. "Yeah, explain that to me *YAWN*"

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Bah humbug. I know the feeling well, and did my recent standing and gurgling in similarly unpleasant locales. Hope you and the little one are feeling better soon. Before she gets it, natch.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home