Thursday, June 30, 2005

Connecting with yourself

A friend of mine recently said that she was having trouble connecting with herself these days. That had a bit of resonance for me. It partly reminded me of a quote from the movie Gladiator:
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. "

In it, Maximus defines himself by his roles as a soldier, citizen, father and husband. While I'm not a soldier, I can relate:
"My name is Mypetrock, programmer of CTSG, employee of Citibank, hasher of Big Hump, father to Oliver, and husband to my wife."

The moments when I step out of my roles are almost jarring. Ever feel like that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home