Tuesday, September 27, 2005

At long last - Air Conditioning

It's not easy being a hot house pariah. My parents have refused to come visit us during the summers because it's too hot here. We couldn't have friends over this summer because it was too hot - even at night. Oliver also has his father's mutant ability to sweat like you wouldn't believe. Now, I've never really been explicitly against air-conditioning, but we hadn't wanted to get it installed.

I think the final straw came this summer when my wife worked from home on Mondays. Her mother would come down and sit with Oliver while my wife worked. This situation worked well until it got unmercifully hot this summer. When that happened she and her mother retreated into the few rooms that had window units. But no one wants to remain cooped up all day week in and week out. So my wife took Oliver up to her mother's (air-conditioned) house when the weather got hot. And that worked out surprisingly well.

So when we needed to replace the boiler this summer, my wife suggested that we look into installing a zoned air conditioning system. After several abortive attempts to get someone to give us an estimate on getting this done, I joined Angie's List to get the names of some reputable heating and air conditioning folks. Mission accomplished with Hayes Heating and Cooling.

So after fighting it for a long time, my wife and I have finally caved in and installed air conditioning in our house. The workmen just finished yesterday and I arrived home from work to the hum of the fans blowing around the cooled air. We still have a bit of work to do to close off the ductwork. But we'll be doing it in air conditioning.

Just in time for the changing of the seasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home