Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Straightening up around the house

Over the past few months we have been accumulating home improvement tasks faster than we could get them done. Much of it had to do with needing to care for Oliver. Some of the rest could be chalked down to heat. And the rest belongs to sheer laziness. But now that we've gotten the floor down in Oliver's play room, I've been inspired to get some things done that we've been putting off for a while.

Since I'm on morning duty I have some time after my wife and Oliver go to bed to get things done. Over the past few nights I've cleared out space in the basement and moved the weight set out of the first floor addition down there. With the extra space in the addition we'll have some space to move our extra furniture about. I'm not sure how that is going to happen since I can't imagine anyone being excited about helping me move the couch from the second floor into the first floor addition.

If nothing else I might be able to spend some time working on that room. And that room needs a lot of work. Most likely we'll just put new drywall over the existing walls and ceiling rather than trying to patch them up. Or we could frame out the walls and avoid having to drill through the concrete. Then there is the matter of installing a radiator so that there is heat out there this winter. After that project is complete, we have the laminate to put down on the floor. And we haven't even gotten to the bathroom yet.

    I also have my eye on a couple of other projects.
  • We need to do some serious babyproofing projects with our outlets.
  • There are gates to be put up.
  • There's a lot of cleaning that need to get done.
  • I'd like to move everything out of the computer room and finish it off. That may be more of a project up my wife's alley as she's much better than I am at mudding, sanding, and taping.
  • When the current computer room is ready to be set up as a bed room, the computer room will move across the hall into a larger space for more of an office feel.
  • We need to finish the kitchen by tiling the backsplash and making sure all of the kickplates are in place.



When we first moved in FIVE years ago, I thought we could have the house in shape by the end of the summer. Currently I'm shooting for the end of the decade. If then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home