Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Family Bed

My son stills sleeps with my wife and I. I don't anticipate that changing very much. We're family bedders and proud of it. We just don't talk to our family about it much.

It started because Oliver is a breastfed baby. We'd wanted to have him close so that Lisa didn't have to wander far (or as likely me) to fetch the baby in order to nurse him. He was in a sidecar arrangement for a while (thanks guys!) before Lisa got tired of pulling him up into bed to nurse him. So she moved him into bed on her side. Once she figured out how to nurse him lying down things were blissful for a while. Then he started rolling. So we decided to put him in between us. It took a while to get used to him being between us, but eventually I got used to it. It was kind of cool to have him snuggle up to me in the middle of the night. He recently started crawling which means that we had to put the mattress and box spring on the floor in the corner of the room and surround the bed with pillows. This arrangement is working well so far and the pillows have already caught a falling baby once.

Of course now that I'm already in a family bed I'm finally starting to read up on it. Not to find out what I've gotten myself into, but more to find out how other people set theirs up and live with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home