Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Out for a walk...

So I was out for a walk with my mother and Oliver on Monday. Oliver was keeping us entertained by running up each walk to the house and starting to climb their stairs. "Sorry, Oliver, this isn't our house." I'd give him a little redirection and we'd be off again. Then he stopped to pick up debris from the sidewalk and give it to my mother and I. I had a good laugh when we had to stop Oliver from picking up a discarded cigarette butt to give to my formerly-smoking mother.

We got down to the end of the block and saw a man dart out from his house with a large backpack over one shoulder and some video equipment dangling from his other hand. He ran across the street to his car, put everything in the trunk, slammed it, went to the passenger side, opened the door, and started running back across the street. The whole scene was a little odd as his movements seemed like something out of a black and white Keystone cops movie. As he crossed in front of us, I said "Good morning." He turned to regard us briefly, blinked twice, and smiled shyly. "We're in labor." And he was off as my congratulations floated after him.

(Note to self: I need to remember to bring them some food in the next couple of days. Question to audience: I've met them once or twice before and perhaps said "Hi" as they walked by as many times. Do you think it would be weird to have someone that you don't know well drop by with a care package of food under those circumstances?)

After leaving the expecting-VERY-soon couple, we made our way back home. When we got home, our neighbor was out on her back porch with her two-year old and one-year old. So we went over and let Oliver, Bill, and Joe play together for a bit while the adults talked. One thing that I really like about our neighborhood is that there are a lot of young children on the block. Assuming not too many people move away, Oliver will have a lot of friends near by as he gets older.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home