Monday, March 27, 2006

Weekend update

Friday night was uneventful. As my wife brought home a cold with her from Seattle, I retained responsibilities for child care much to my chagrin. And to be honest, annoyance. I'd done the Mr. Mom thing for four days and was looking to get some help. I was much less sympathetic than I should have been given my wife's condition. I know that I really should apologize. After we got Oliver down for the night, we stayed up and finished watching Soap and watched some Buffy Season 1.

Saturday morning I went for a run with Dead Squirrel and Blows Like a Freight Train, both of whom are the the River to River team. We met up by the Dog Museum in Queeny Park. Queeny Park has a very hilly four mile loop. It's perfect for training for the very hilly River to River. We took off at a very leisurely pace. I could have pushed the pace, but it was more important that I run with the group than ahead of them. On the first trip around I twisted my ankle at the bottom of the first hill. It wasn't too bad, but I made sure to take extra care in choosing my foot placements the rest of the way. I decided that what I would do to put more workout in my workout was to surge up all of the big hills, sort of turning the course into a fartlek workout. We ended up going twice around before it was time to go home.

After running I headed home to relieve my wife who had a shower to go to. After a change of clothes, I gathered up Oliver and headed to my friend S's place for a Scotch tasting. And no, Oliver didn't get any. At a party last year, a discussion turned to the finer things in life. Now S is a Scotch fanatic. So when he started talking about Scotch, he was met with a lot of blank stares. No one in our group knew enough about it to speak intelligently and the idea of a Scotch tasting wsa born. Over the course of a couple of hours, S let us sample a few of his bottles. It was really interesting how adding water either brought out the flavor of the Scotch or killed it entirely depending on how complex the flavors were. I came away with a bunch of new knowledge that I'll never be able to make use of.

On the way back, I got in touch with E&J about hanging out that night. E&J have a daughter, Evelyn, who is a couple of months younger than Oliver, but otherwise in the same developmental area. I made an appetizer of mozzarella and tomato on bread to take over while I waited for my wife to make it back. I finally had to call her at the shower so that she would come home so that we could go out again. We had a good time over at E&J's place. Oliver and Evelyn played well together and spent most of the time chasing the cat. The food was great and the company matched the food.

Sunday morning everyone else slept in, but I got up early and went for a run. I put in a couple of easy miles. When I got back, I took over child care duties from my wife. Bundling Oliver up into the car, I headed for the St. Louis Zoo. Oliver and I got to see the bears, the penguins, some birds, and antelopes before heading back. The nice thing about having a free zoo near the house is that we never really feel compelled to see the whole thing when we go. Oliver and I stopped at St. Louis Bread Co for lunch before heading home for nap time. He took a good long nap while my wife and I watched some episodes of Buffy season one.

S&A came over for dinner Sunday night. We had a good time catching up with them. After dinner we sat in the living room and let Oliver entertain us. Line: "It's a lot like having a puppy. Except this one you have to put through college." When my wife took Oliver up for bed time, S&A headed home. A little while later I went upstairs to help my wife wrangle down Oliver. We gave him some Motrin to help with the teething pain and he dropped off to sleep soon. The rest of the night was spent catching up on some TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home