Thursday, April 20, 2006

Gearing up for River to River

The River to River Relay is now only two days away. For those who haven't tuned in, River to River is an eight person - eighty mile race across Southern Illinois. This will be my third year running the race. The first two times have been great and I'm really looking forward to the third time. I've started mentally gearing up for the run. I know my training isn't quite where I'd like it to be. After doing the St. Patrick's 5M run really well, I got lazy and haven't put in enough work recently. This week I've been doing mostly fat burn pace workouts to keep my cardio up while allowing me to rest somewhat.

On Monday night I went to the Wash U track and did a 5K just to see how well I could do it. My original plan was to start with a 10 minute mile and then see where I was. I started much faster than that (~7:45 pace), but I was able to maintain that pace and finished sub-25:00. That gives me a lot of hope that I might end up being okay. The only thing that I'm afraid of is the hills, but there are an awfully large number of hills on this course. We'll just have to see.

Our team is one of the two hasher teams registered. We currently have eight runners with one alternate. Our other alternate, Poke My Heine, had to drop out as she just moved to DC. The other team, however, is down to 5 runners. They've asked if we can help. I'd be happy to lend them our alternate (splitting to 8/6), but I don't necessarily want to split the teams into 7/7 even though that would give both teams the best chance to finish. It blows my mind that a running group of our size can't find another couple of runners among the group and its extended networks. On the other hand, we did field two teams of ten before the defections. Maybe I'll just blame the defectors.

On On!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home