Friday, May 26, 2006

Book of Questions

Question 111: If your parents became infirm and the only alternative to bringing them into your home was to put them into a nursing home, would you do so? What about a brother or a sister who had suffered a permanently crippling injury and - other than your home - had nowhere else to go but a convalescent home?

Answer: I would take them into my home if I felt that I could adequately care for them. Most likely I would have to move from my current home into something much better laid out for a person with a disability/infirmity, but it's a sacrifice that I would be willing to make. However, there is the caveat that I would need to feel that I could adequately care for them from a physical and financial standpoint. If I didn't think that I could adequately care for them, then a placement in a nursing or convalescent home would make more sense.

This is something that we in my family are starting to have to address. My parents have already made arrangements at a nursing home that offers care in varying stages from basic housekeeping all the way up to 24-hour nursing care. This was their decision but if they decide that they don't want to do it and want to move down here, then we'll look at other arrangements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home