Thursday, May 25, 2006

Book of Questions

Question 149: When did you last cry in front of another person? by yourself?

Answer: I last cried in front of my wife when I got back from taking the cat to the Humane Society. I'm still convinced that I made the right decision, but it was one of the hardest things that I've had to do. It was one of those moments when I had to own up to the fact that I'm not as good of a person as I want to be.

I last cried by myself yesterday (more properly I teared, but let's not split hairs). I was reading Jamie Wakefield's blog. Jamie is a Magic writer and player who lives in Vermont. His early writings were about his struggles to become a good player and featured his wife, the Lovely Mare, and his friends prominently. A couple of years ago, he dropped out of Magic to play Evercrack. A significant part of that decision was that Everquest was something that he and the Lovely Mare could do together. A couple of years ago Mare was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer. This past weekend she passed away. I didn't know Mare personally and have never met Jamie, but I felt sad. I guess in part it's because I put myself into his shoes and try to imagine what it would be like to be in that situation.

1 Comments:

Blogger the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

Now I want to cry too, and I'm only up to December of Mare's story. I can't say anything about cancer right now without using very inappropriate language.
-Mike

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home