Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Embarassing weekend update

The weekend had all the hallmarks of a good weekend. I did a long run with friends. We went to a BBQ. We visited with friends. I passed out in yoga. I got to run a 10K. We had a lazy day at home. Yep - one of these things is not like the other. And one of them definitely doesn't belong.

I was in the afternoon yoga class. Midway through the standing series of postures I found my vision clouding. I thought I'd just stand there and take one set out, but my body had other ideas. A couple of seconds later I woke up a little disoriented. I thought it had been some sort of dream. I ended up taking off the rest of the standing postures but recovered in time for the sitting ones. In retrospect, perhaps I was a little dehydrated or my blood sugar was low or my electrolytes were off kilter. I don't know exactly what happened, but I'm glad that the only thing that I hurt was my ego.

Passing out through off the rest of my weekend. I backed off a bit in the 10K, jogged through the 5K, and napped through some of Monday afternoon. I'm most of the way back now. I just need to make sure that I make rehydration a real priority for the next few days. The other thing that I'm starting to doubt is whether dieting is a sensible thing to do given my activity load. Between the running and the yoga and chasing around a toddler, I may need to increase my caloric intake especially in the form of carbohydrates.

2 Comments:

Blogger k957 said...

It's been a while since I've straight up passed out, but things do "go gray" on occasion. Common related states include:
- heat.
- improper hydration.
- towards the end of a workout (electrolytes?).
- light or missing lunch.


FWIW, I have to drink gatorade if I expect to be able to train in the heat - I'm sure something else might work, but for me it's gatorade. Sometimes I "double fist" it with water on the side. I typically drink upwards of 40 oz. of liquid during a 90 minute martial arts class.

8:39 AM  
Blogger mypetrock said...

I think I ran into a combination of all of those. I made it through class on Sunday, but a before/after weigh in showed that I dropped seven pounds of water weight during class. I've decided that I'm not going to be able to maintain my current activity level and stay on South Beach phase 2 strictly. I'm going to let myself drink Gatorade with workouts so that I can maintain my blood sugar level. Plus, I'll need to start incorporating nutrition into my long runs, which means either gatorade or GU or Clif Bars. As long as I don't go overboard though I'll be all right.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home