Sunday, November 12, 2006

Jonesing for some Magic

The past few weeks I've really been jonesing for some Magic. Basically ever since I got back from the prerelease I've wanted to go out and play. But there are several problems with this. One, since I already have one night a week out by myself, I feel guilty about wanting to go out on another night, leaving my wife alone with Oliver. Two, I don't actually know of that many places to go play. For a while there was a website that kept track of where to play and when for the St. Louis area. But a couple of months ago whoever was playing for the domain and hosting let it slip. So now there aren't any good ways to find some where to go play. Three, I could call a friend or three and see if anyone wants to play but most of the people that I know who play are in similar situations to me in terms of family commitments. In the end my real life Magic experiences end up being limited to infrequent get togethers with friends and semi-annual trips to the prereleases.

I'm seriously thinking of getting into Magic Online. In some ways it fits with where I find myself. I don't necessarily have the freedom to buy enough cards, spend enough time, meet enough people, or travel to enough tournaments to be competitive. When I do have the time, it is usually between the time that Oliver goes to sleep and I call it a night. Whether I'm watching TV or playing Magic, it shouldn't make that much of a difference to anything else that I'd be doing.

But I don't want to do it regardless. I feel like it would invalidate the money that
I've already spent on Magic the Paper. I don't like their Wizard's pricing model which prices digital cards at the same price as paper cards. And it would take a lot of money to get me to the point where I am with the paper cards I own. Or really even near it.

Ideally, if I could get my wife to play with me, that would be perfect. She enjoys games, is very competitive, and has a quick mind. It would be another thing that we could do together and an occasional game fits the time between Oliver's and our bed times. But she has categorically stated that she has NO wish to EVER learn how to play. So i'm looking for another option. Preferably something that won't bankrupt me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home