Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Weekend in Chicago

We went up to Chicago this weekend. Originally we were going to run in the marathon, but a stress fracture on my part and shin splints on my wife's part forced us from the running. But Oliver and my parents had not seen each other in several months and we still had friends who we had trained with who were running so we went up to Chicago.

We drove up to Chicago on Thursday night. I spent most of the drive trying to find the nearest ESPN radio affiliate as we listened to the Cardinals game. I'm not a big baseball fan, but it's hard not to know what's going on with the Cardinals when you live in St. Louis. Plus, it was an exciting game and more interesting than Central Illinois. Once we arrived, my mother welcomed us and immediately commenced playing with Oliver. They both had a great time. I chuckle about how extraneous I am when my parents get a chance to see the little one, but it is too true.

On Friday I got to work while my wife and mother took care of Oliver. It was perhaps unsuprising how difficult it was to get a lot accomplished. Plus, their DSL connection is very slow which complicated matters further. My mother and my father took Oliver with her to my brother's place so that she could watch my niece and Oliver play together. Later that night Papaswoof and Elistirk and Charlotte arrived. They crashed with us Friday night.

Saturday morning we got up and had breakfast. After breakfast, we watched Charlotte and Oliver play together for a while until it was time to take off. Then I took Papaswoof and my wife off to the airport to pick up Phil. Oliver stayed with Grandma and Grandpa. I remembered the wrong flight arrival time, but it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. After we picked him up, we went to the Marathon Expo. My wife and I picked up our packets and promptly returned our timing chips. We headed back to Papaswoof's hotel in order to pick up some of his stuff and stopped along the way for a late lunch. We ended up at my brother's place for a pre-race carb loading dinner. Oliver got to play with his cousin some more. Then we watched the first game of the World Series and headed to bed.

Sunday morning dawned cold, cloudy, and clear. The threatened rain barely materialized. As my brother and his girlfriend watched Oliver, my wife and I ran about trying to see Phil and Papaswoof as they ran. We managed to see Phil twice. We got his attention once. We didn't see Papaswoof until the end of the run because we were looking in the wrong sections of runners. In the end, they both did really well - beating their time goals. After the marathon, we ran into trouble coordinating various other parties from Phil's parents to Elitsirk and her family. In the end, Phil ended up going home with his parents and I ended up dropping Papaswoof off at his hotel. We went out to dinner with my brother and his girlfriend and then headed by my folks' place to say good bye. We didn't end up getting home until after midnight.

All in all it was a good weekend. I would have preferred to have been running, but other than that I have no complaints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home