Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sacrifice Mypetrock

When I first learned about patterns in software, it was a revelation. Patterns are a way of describing the underlying template behind software design. A number of the algorithms that I used suddenly fit into a common framework. The work that I've done since has been better since I have more precise language to describe what I'm doing.

After we got back from the training course, my manager told us about another group of patterns that occur in management. One of them is called the Sacrifice One pattern, where a manager assigns a potentially big time sink or terrible task to one employee so that the rest of the team doesn't get effected. In my later work at that company, our group renamed that pattern to be Sacrifice Mypetrock as I was the assigned sacrifice for task after task. It fot my personality as I enjoyed taking on new tasks, but I just wanted someone else to be the sacrificial lamb just once.

After a while it occurred to me that I find myself being the sacrificial lamb a lot. When I played roller hockey, I volunteered to strap on the pads and play goalie. I wasn't very good at it, but everyone let me play because being goalie more or less sucks. I told my new project manager about it during my interview and I'm finding myself again being the sacrifice. It's not quite the same in my gaming group where I purposefully sought the role of DM but the idea is the same - one person taking on a time-consuming task in order to save the rest from having to do it.

I find that it also happens in my little family. "I'm sure that Daddy wants to go outside with you." "I'm sure that Daddy would like to give you a bath." "Ask Daddy to change your diaper." It's not that I don't like spending time with my son, but it doesn't seem that the fun parts get delegated with the same frequency. And I feel like I'm a terrible person if I don't want to be sacrificed at the moment. To be fair, I've done my share of sacrificing my wife, but it never seems that she gets sacrificed as often as I do.

1 Comments:

Blogger the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

Just remember those you sacrifice for really appreciate it. Speaking as a forward who had you play in goal many times, I am quite thankful, because it's damn hard to find someone crazy enough to do that.
(and you should play goal one more time, as I'm gonna need 2 goalies for a pickup game in April!)

If it's your family, pretty much any sacrifice is worth it. Wives usually don't ask for too much, but kids will take whatever you can give and I think that's their prerogative.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home