Sunday, February 03, 2008

Happy Birthday to me

Every year for my birthday I have a potluck, Thanksgiving style dinner for my friends. I make the turkey and the stuffing, provide the drinks, and clean the house. The couple of weeks beforehand are always a challenge because I have to make the guest list and clean the house.

Making the guest list is a challenge of restraint. If I had my way, I'd invite everyone I ever met. However, we just don't have space and seating for that size of a group (note- food is generally not a concern). My goal is generally to have about 30 adults. My initial draft guest list was about sixty adults. From there my wife and I get the list down to a managable size and the I send out the invite. I tried Evite last year, but some people really don't like it. I may go back to it though just for convenience sake.

Cleaning the house is always a big chore. I'd like to think that we aren't messy people, but I'd also like to think that we're millionaires. We started two weeks before the main event and were still putting some stuff behind closed doors on the morning of. But other than that, the house was in shape.

The event itself was successful. There were 21 adults and 14 children. Everyone had a good time. My wife told me that there was too much meat and too little in terms of sides. Considering that there were two turkeys and a ham available versus stuffing, green bean casserole, a cornmeal dish, potatoes, a bean salad and a sweet potato soup, I'll agree with her. I got a call from some friends who were overseas and were upset that they missed out. Next year, guys - I promise.

I'd like to close by saying thanks to all who attended and made the day so special.

Edit: I'd be remiss to not point out the text messages that I got from DC and Chicago to wish me a happy birthday. Thanks, guys.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I promise that when we come next year I'll bring lots and lots of deviled eggs and a large serving of veg. It's kind of weird because we would have gotten back Saturday afternoon if we hadn't extended our stay.

3:11 AM  
Blogger JessiTRON said...

Mmm deviled eggs, yeah, that'd be great.

It was fun, Adam! Thanks for having us all over, and for posting on the blog. The food was great. The sweet potato soup was my favorite. Eric was thrilled with his plate of food. Evelyn was devastated that she didn't get to go.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home