Tuesday, August 09, 2005

But it's a wet heat

I'm back, so all of you stalkers can get back to stalking me. I just got back from Phoenix. While I wasn't excited by the prospect of spending a week in Phoenix in August, I was looking forward to spending some time with Oliver.

The weather in Phoenix cooperated to some degree. Many of the days that we were there, it rained in the valley of the sun. It made it a little more humid, but the taste I had of dry heat was somewhat unconvincing.

Being a dad on vacation was a bit odd in that I was always looking for something that we could do that Oliver would enjoy. What could he touch or see that would be exciting to him? While I would have enjoyed going rock climbing more often, it wasn't something that I could do with Oliver. The Desert Botanical Garden was interesting, but again not much that I'd prefer that Oliver touch. Still we got some good pictures of our trip which I'll post later this week.

As it was I ended up getting sick and thus spent a lot of time with Oliver in the hotel room. Being a single-ish parent when you are well is difficult, but it becomes that much more difficult when you are sick. My wife helped out by bringing Oliver with her to meals so that I could nap.

Saturday we drove from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon, detouring through Sedona. On the way back to Flagstaff where we were staying that night, Oliver let us know that this was entirely too much driving in one day. The next day we had to drive two hours from Flagstaff to Phoenix to catch our three hour flight home. Oliver let us (and many people on the flight) know that this was also too much travel in one weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home