Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Yard sale

Our neighborhood had a "neighborhood-wide" yard sale on Saturday. I'd been saying for the last month or so that I wanted to have a garage sale, so the timing couldn't have been better. The first step was to collect all of the stuff that we wanted to sell. I went through all of our books and culled out the ones that we were unlikely to ever want to read again. A lot of them ended up being books that we had had to buy for college classes. I think that St. Augustine was a great thinker, but I can't imagine deciding to read his Confessions as a pleasure read. Wittgenstein, Wollstonecraft, Plato, Aristotle all went the same way. I gathered up baskets and vases, toys and games, computer parts and unused furniture. It ended up being not as much stuff as I thought it would be, but enough stuff regardless.

Saturday morning dawned clear and cool. My wife and I trundled all of our stuff out onto the porch. I arranged it all and priced it. $.50 for books, a $1.00 for this, $5.00 for that. Our next door neighbors busily arranged their treasures as well. The people on the corner filled their yard. But beyond them the block was strangely quiet. I guess it was either that people didn't have that much to peddle, the event was not as widely publicized as it could have been, or both.

Paul and Sarahlynn dropped off Ellie for us to watch during the yard sale. They had a braiding class to attend. Ellie and Oliver played on a blanket under the tree in the front yard while my wife and I manned the yard sale. It was fun to see them playing together.

From time to time, my wife or I would wander off to check out the other yard sales. We ended up buying some Lincoln logs from the corner and a fondue pot from next door. We missed out on a dog costume for Oliver. I'm sure he'll thank us later.

The yard sale ended up being a mild success. We brought in more money than we spent (on yard sales, anyway). We got rid of a glass top coffee table that would never have seen the light of day with toddlers invading. We got rid of a bunch of books that we weren't going to read anyway. I didn't get rid of the bar, despite the interest of a group of co-eds. And everything we didn't sell went up to my mother-in-law's yard sale to be sold or disposed of. Mission accomplished.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe not. Some of that stuff might be coming back!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home