Thursday, September 08, 2005

This past weekend

This past weekend was a productive weekend - ironic since it was Labor Day. My wife and I had ordered flooring for Oliver's play room from Lowes and gotten a part needed to hang our kitchen ceiling fan so we were primed to get stuff done. We imported my mother in law on Saturday. When we went to cut the floor boards, we discovered that we couldn't find any of our tools. Since most of the likely suspects to whom we might have lent our tools were out of town, we called another set of friends who had a compound mitre saw and a handheld circular saw for us to borrow. A number of hours later we had most of the boards cut and laid down in the room. We stopped for dinner and went out to Mike Duffy's so that my wife could watch the Notre Dame game. After the first quarter we were back home and my wife drifted off to the sounds of her team thrashing the other.

Sunday morning dawned bright. We awoke to find that the floor - which is supposed to float had shifted a matter of inches. We decided to redo the part that we had done. My mother-in-law was going to be at her home instead of travelling down to South County to see my wife's sister. Sensing free baby-sitting and anticipating getting a lot more done we headed up to Illinois to drop off Oliver and retreat home to be productive. Our expectations were brought to a crashing halt when my wife found out that all of her sisters were going to come up to see her mother. So she decided that we were going to stay the day up there. Meanwhile, I was still operating under the assumption that we were going to make it back home and be productive. It wasn't until hours later that my wife filled me in on the non-productive plan. I'd claim that I should have divined what was going on but I'll claim gender. Finally our time was at an end and we headed home. The night ended with us hanging the kitchen fan and heading off to sleep.

Monday morning dawned bright. My wife and I spent most of the day playing pass the baby as one or the other of us completed the next task in the sequence of redoing and finally getting real close to finishing the room. We got a call from a set of friends who also have a young son named Gavin. We went to their house for dinner since our house was such a pit. Dinner was a tasty lasagna and salad. After dinner we were talking about playing a game when our respective children made clear that it was time to go home. Such is the life of a parent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home