Thursday, March 30, 2006

Interviewing a new doctor

Before Olivers was born, we shopped around for a pediatrician. We found one that we really liked in Dr. Julia Young. But she decided to relocate to a practice closer to her home. We were reassigned to another doctor at the practice, but we really didn't like her. If you notice that I didn't mention her name, it is because I don't believe that she's ever said, "Hi, my name is ..." So we decided to find a new pediatrician.

At a LLL meeting a couple of months ago, we mentioned that we were in the market. One of the leaders recommended that we check out Dr. Zuckerman. He immediately has several things going for him. One, he was recommended to us. Two, his office is closer to our house. And three, his office is on the way home from work. Little things, but still points in his favor. We finally got around to setting up the appointment and yesterday we met with Dr. Zuckerman.

The practice is small but cheerfully decorated. The doors to the examination rooms weren't closed which I liked as it projects more of an image of openness. There wasn't anyone waiting in the waiting area when we got there. We were treated to a tour of the office by the nurse and shown into an exam room to wait until he was able to talk to us.

While we were hanging out, my wife and I attempted to brainstorm some questions. I felt a bit like I was cramming for a test I forgot to study for. For the similarly unprepared, here was my crib sheet:

Breastfeeding
Diet
Sleep
Vaccinations
Preferred hospitals
Things to watch out for

We talked to him for about a half-hour on all sorts of children's health issues like breastfeeding, diet, and vaccinations. It was a good conversation. After about a half-hour we wrapped it up, and my wife and I headed out to get some food. We didn't absolutely decide that we were going to go with him, but I'm not sure what the next couple of steps will be.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter used to have Dr. Young as her pediatrician too and I was sad to have to switch her to a new doctor so soon. Randy and I have been very happy with the care from Dr. Adams (little things like examining our daughter on her lap, allowing me to nurse Thalia in the examination room after her immunizations, not rushing us out the door, etc.) and and very unhappy with the care from another doctor at the same clinic. Could it be the same one? Hmmmm.... Now we will only see Dr. Adams since Randy had such a terrible experience during Thalia's 9 month visit. Good luck with your search!

Gretchen aka Thalia's Mom

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home