Monday, April 03, 2006

Weekend in Chicago

This past weekend I took my family up to Chicago to visit my family. That is the married/created family to the my parents and siblings family. We left Friday niught about the time that Oliver was going to sleep. The trip up was pretty good. My wife and I chatted until she got tired and then I plopped in Ender's Game. Of course I didn't have her awake to switch disks, so when the disk ended, I turned off the radio. We got to Chicago a little later than I'd planned, but my parents were there to greet us. Oliver had woken up just before we got there and favored my parents with some smiles. Then he went off to bed. I stayed up for a bit and looked through some old pictures with my mother. It was funny to see young Adam who stopped smiling in pictures all of a sudden.

In the morning, my wife took charge of Oliver and let me sleep in (thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou). It seems that I'd missed a trip across the street to the park and the "zoo" in the park. When my parents got up, I took Oliver off to visit my mother's office and the library where she volunteers. At the library, Oliver was all smiles. We picked up a couple of age-appropriate books to look at and then headed home.

My brother and his girlfriend were there and were very happy to see Oliver. We had some lunch and took a trip to the park. Oliver got to see the Llamas, the cow, the sheep, the swan, and the goats - basically the entirety of the zoo. Then we played on the equipment with my brother and his girlfriend taking turns sending Oliver down the slide. Oliver got a chance to chase some ducks and then it was time to go back.

After the park, it was back to the house where my other brother's wife and daughter had arrived. At first, my niece was very reserved, but after some time and a snack, she began to play with her cousin. My brother made it out and I got to talk to him a bit as we watched the children play. Then it was bed time and my wife and I watched When Harry Met Sally before bed.

In the morning it was my turn to take the morning shift and Oliver and I played for a while. When my parents woke up we went to Baker's Square for breakfast. Then we went to see my brother and his girlfriend in their new place. We toured the condo and then retired to the first floor to talk and watch Oliver play. A multitude of Zerberts later and we were on our way. Oliver fell asleep in the car and we had to skip a trip out to see my other brother. We'll have to go over at some point so that Oliver and Ardelia can play together in her own space.

All in all it was a good trip to the city. I always intend to try and make time to see my friends when I come into the city, but our stays end up being so short that there is just not time to do more than see family. The other issue is that I haven't felt that I could leave Oliver solely in the care of my parents. Now that he needs less carrying, it enters the realm of possibility though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home