Thursday, June 22, 2006

Transitions

One of the toughest things about going to a new job is all of the transitions that you make along the way. The easiest transitions are the physical ones. I'm trying out new routes to work and new routes to day care. I wear a new set of clothes to go to work. I'm carrying a laptop back and forth to work with me. I now sit at a table across from my co-workers instead of in a cube farm.

The cultural aspects of the switch are slightly harder. What is the protocol for lunch? Is it an "eat at my desk" kind of place or does everyone go out together for lunch? What movies/music does everyone listen to? What is the office pecking order? Are knees really appropriate in an office setting?

Finally there is the mental aspects of the switch. Whenever you get to a new spot, you have to learn a new business. Additionally in my case, I have to learn a new technology. It takes me a while to get my feet under me and during this time i feel like I'm that cousin that nobody talks about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home