Thursday, November 16, 2006

Casting about on TV

So far, the only show that my wfe and I watch regularly is the Amazing Race. We haven't really picked up any new shows to watch since the demise of most of our shows last season. Since I have some spare time, I've been sampling different shows to see if any would stick. So far, for good or ill, no luck.

I've watched a couple of episodes of Heroes. You'll notice that I didn't say that I've been watching since the beginning. Lacking cable and the ability to see previous episodes, I'm going to have to pass on that one since I have missed a lot of the early world building.

I've watched a couple of episodes of Studio 60. I like the dialogue. I like the actors. But it just isn't coming together for me. I guess it is because it lookes and sounds so much like the West Wing. But now all of the elements from the West Wing are being used in support of an SNL-from-when-it-was-good clone instead of in support of the fate of the free world. I just can't care that much.

I caught an episode of Show Me the Money. What a piece of crap! Contestants are given so many outs that no question is really suspenseful. They are told to choose between A, B, or C, when the actual choice doesn't matter. They answer the question and then pick the dollar amount and then Shatner stalls until they go to the reveal of up or down. Yay - there are dancers. Other than a blatant appeal to males, why? It suffers markedly in comparison to Deal or no Deal.

Deal or No Deal is another game show that has beautiful babes for no apparent purpose. The offer from the banker is never really suspenseful if you understand probabilities - the banker offers something like expected value. Howie is a good host and the game is simple enough to rival even Wheel of Fortune for simplicity. I just can't get into this one either.

Any recommendations for someone without cable? if not, that's okay too. There's always books.

1 Comments:

Blogger the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

recommendation for no cable:
azureus, bittorrent client--
go get your Heroes then and watch from the beginning. :)

(and if you're just downloading TV, you don't have to feel all ethically dirty)

all i'm watching now (since Lost is on hiatus) is Prison Break. Good actors is its main appeal I think.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home