Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Having trouble maintaining motivation

I've lost 25 going on 30 pounds so far. I feel lighter. I've moved from a borderline 38 waist to a solid 33 waist. I need to do some shopping as belts can only help so much. I am finding myself wearing less baggy clothing as I'm less ashamed of my body. But even with all of these good things in mind, I've been having a hard time maintaining the motivation to lose weight.

The cracks in my armor are beginning to show. Last week I went out with coworkers to a Chinese place for lunch. I didn't overeat, but I finished what I'd ordered. There went that day's allotment of points. This weekend I made a double batch of cornbread with Oliver. Cooked cornmeal is Core, but cornbread is not. I'd love to confess that the cornbread went largely untasted and remained so after my wife checked and found my error, but the cornbread is no longer around to testify. And it was tasty. This morning I woke up late, had to rush the kids out of the house, forgot to pack a lunch or eat breakfast, stopped at Hardees for a breakfast sandwich, and had a Reuben sandwich for lunch. Again, not horrific, but not Core. And did I mention tasty?

Compounding my retreats off the reservation, I also have been cutting back on my exercise routine. In part, it's been schedule, but a number of days the past week I've found myself running behind, driving to work, and then not making up the exercise in other ways. At this point I should be ramping up my routine in preparation for summer running, but it's not happening. And I'm finding myself lacking the motivation to push it.

This may be a case where I am getting myself in trouble because I'm relatively easy to satisfy. Losing 25 lbs brings with it a certain level of satisfaction. And complacency. But that isn't what I need. I need to set a goal for myself. Weight loss by itself is good, but I don't see it as being an end in and of itself.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger k957 said...

that's great progress - what about 2 pounds a week?

can you take a break - a cheat day, a cheat pair of days, 5 days? a brief holiday? it seems that's happening anyway... can you make it OK, but for a predetermined spell?

I'd say the the trick here is to make sure to come back to the program for another 3 months (or 4, or 6).

my $0.02 - you've definitely got weight loss skills - keep it up!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home