Thursday, January 12, 2006

Packages!

One of the benefits to Ebay shopping is that it makes the mail arriving so much more exciting. Did my package come today? Sure, you could cheat and use package tracking to find out exactly where it is as it travels from its source to its eventual destination. And you still get that buzz of excitement when the mailbox creaks open. Not that I'd condone cheating that way...

The other day I got a package of miniatures. I knew what was inside it, but it was still exciting to open it up. I wanted to see if it would meet my expectations or if it would be a let down. I've opened packages that did not excite me before so there is a little anxiety.

I'm always anxious to see how it was packed. Some Ebay sellers put more care into how they send off their packages then others. I had one seller ship me a group of 10+ miniatures crammed into one end of an old check box. Note the absence of any sort of packing material. There wasn't even any tissue paper. Thankfully there was not too much damage to the miniatures or I'd have been really upset.

I'm anxious to see what condition the item is in. I don't spend very much on Ebay which sort of insulates me from the frauds on Ebay. Who wants to hurt their rating for $5.00? But when they say that the item is in good condition, it could mean anything some pristine to intact but gnawed on. For miniatures, there a lot of ways that the figure can be bent or weakened so that I'll end up being the one to break it. So far I've had good luck with the condition of the items.

I'm anxious to see exactly what it is. Some sellers do not sufficiently describe the product that they are selling. Or the picture that they take of the item is too far away to get a good look at it. When you open the package, you are hoping that the miniatures look like what you expected. One package I received had a bunch of sci-fi miniatures when I was expecting something that I would use for Dungeons and Dragons. Another contained a couple of other sci-fi miniatures with the D&D era miniatures.

Aside from the genre of figure, the issue of size becomes important. I have miniatures from Ral Partha, Grenardier, Reaper and others. Each miniature line has its own scale from 15mm to 30mm as well as each race has its own size. But when a large-sized ogre is dwarfed by a small-sized halfling, it becomes harder to suspend your disbelief. I've managed to avoid picking up any figures of wildly disparate size, but some of my figures are apparently of a different scale when you stand them next to one another.

But when I get a package like I did yesterday where all of the figures were well packed, in good condition, of an appropriate genre and size, your anxiety goes away. Now I just have to have time to put it all together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home