Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Oliver at the grocery store

In our family, I've been tasked with grocery shopping. It's something productive that I can do when my wife is nursing Oliver or putting him to sleep or both. I actually like going to the store although I shudder when I get the final bill. And sometimes I take Oliver with me if my wife is napping or otherwise needs a moment to herself.

Usually Oliver is quite happy to sit in the upper basket. He'll sit up there, smile and wave at the other customers like some sort of toddler spokesmodel. Occasionally he'll get fussy, but he can usually be calmed by giving him something to hold. The next few minutes he'll hold the item aloft like a trophy. "By the power of BEANS!"

Last night, Oliver didn't want to sit in the basket. So instead we had to get the car-cart. Whoever thought of that was a genius. There is just enough to do inside to distract your toddler when the cart comes to a complete stop. And he can still see you so that when you do stop, he can look back at you to say, "Let's go!" There were a couple of close calls as Oliver was not good about always keeping hands, feet and torsos inside the vehicle at all times, but we managed to escape without incident. My only complaint is that the car-cart corners like it's on sails. Come on, people - a little performance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home