Thursday, January 11, 2007

Computing like it's 1969

My work laptop runs very, very slowly. When I have a standard set of applications open, opening another tab on my browser can take up to a minute. I can't listen to any form of sound from Pandora to CDs as they skip like a hyperactive toddler. This wouldn't be as much of a problem except the application that I'm working on requires several applications open at the same time. When I have them open I get shitty performance.

I can't figure it out. Other laptops with approximately the same configuration and installations run ridiculously faster than mine. It doesn't appear to be hardware related as every troubleshooting tool and scan returns that the device is working properly. It doesn't appear to be memory as my memory utilization is low compared to the amount of memory on the system. It's not spyware or anti-virus activity. I'm completely baffled.

I'm also really annoyed as it is sucking my desire to work. Each task become a Sisyphusian nightmare of clicking and waiting. Several tasks that I've been assigned to do I've had to farm out to other people because my machine was physically incapable of performing the task. The Sisyphusian tasks make for Sisyphusian days.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. We're getting a new machine for me to work on. And I may be able to borrow a co-worker's machine while he is away the next week or so. But in the mean time I'm back to waiting... and clicking...

1 Comments:

Blogger k957 said...

do you defrag?
my $0.02

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home