Sunday, February 05, 2006

Keeping up with the carrots

I'm an interesting character when it comes to competition. I like to compete, but I don't really have that burning desire to win. I'm sort of a type B+ personality like that. When I'm running arounf the park, I'll try and keep up with ot catch the other runners who are going the same direction as I am. Sometimes I'll even make up competitions with people who don't know I'm competing with them. For example, I'll pick a runner coming towards me and I'll "race" them to a spot in the middle. Another example is that when I have a set of lights timed, I'll "race" the cars that rush up to the stop light and see if taking it easy is a better strategy.

The evil side of the type B+ personality comes out when you are a parent. In many ways, Oliver is very advanced. He's a good walker. He has good gross motor skills and is developing his fine motor skills. He is a very happy and sociable fellow who warms quickly to strangers. He's not far along in his acquisition of language and doesn't feed himself yet. At one point I had to stop myself at my party because I found myself scoring imaginary matchups between Oliver and my friends' children. I was not being appropriately appreciative og the successes that the other children had had or that Oliver had had.

So in apology, I'd just like to say a belated congratulations to all parents on your children's successes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home