Thursday, March 09, 2006

Debugging for fun and profit

I'm frequently staggered at how bad at debugging some people are. I have people in my group coming up to me several times a day saying things like "It won't compile." or "The code doesn't work" or "Daddy, tie my shoes." Or at least that's what it feels like. My next couple of questions are "What have you done so far?" and "Where is the problem happening?". And it's like I'm speaking in a different language. Almost "You mean I should try and fix this on my own before I come to you?" Occasionally they'll suggest things that they might want to try. "Should I look in the log?" I generally tell them that they should do exactly that.

I really don't mind lending a hand if it is something that is new, challenging, or might otherwise cause consternation. But I'm ready to kick these little birds out of the nest and hope they can fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home